Thursday, February 25, 2010

blog 3

The type of computer software that i prefer to use in my classroom is teacher directed inquiry. I feel that this type of instruction gives kids a focus but makes them think more than doing simple drill exercises. I like student centered inquiry for older students but for my fifth graders I do not think it would work well for most of them. I have found that my students do really well when they have a focused assignment such as a webquest. I have been using teacher centered activities in my classroom to let my students know which direction to start in and what the final product should be. I think it allows younger kids just the right amount of independence. If they were doing either drill or student centered activities for the majority of the time I think they would get frustrated. I see teacher centered as the happy medium.

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think of Goldilocks, and trying to figure out which bowl of porridge is not too hot, not too cold, but just right. I'm wondering if, in practice, the happy medium shifts over the course of the school year, as you build confidence in your students to explore more on their own. But I think you are correct to start with what you think your students can be successful with, and proceed from there.

    jd

    ReplyDelete